NORTHEAST HARM REDUCTION CONFERENCE
-- "Drugs, Sex and Harm Reduction"
Friday and Saturday, June 9th and 10th, 1995, New York, NY
Co-sponsored by: the Harm Reduction Coalition, the Drug Policy Foundation, and the ACLU AIDS Project.
Harm Reduction is a model and set of strategies that encourage users to reduce the harm done to themselves and communities by their licit and illicit substance use. In allowing users access to the tools needed to become helthier, we recognize the competency of their efforts to protect themselves, their loved ones and their communities.
The conference is a venue for direct service providers, activists and others involved with or promoting programs and efforts that reduce harmful drug and sexual behavior. Some of the topics to be discussed include: Harm Reduction history and theory, using Harm Reduction towards safer drug using & sexual behavior, needle/syringe exchange, and sharing effecgive multicultural strategies in a variety of settings.
* Introduce and explore Harm Reduction history and theory as it applies
to direct services and outreach;
* Provide a forum for the development and exchange of strategies for incorporating Harm Reduction into services and programs;
* Provide local examples of individuals and programs currently working in Harm Reduction;
* Develop networks of people interested in and working with Harm Reduction strategies.
Friday & Saturday, June 9 & 10, 8:00am to 5:00pm both days. Time details will be available on the agenda in the confirmation packet.
City College, Convent Ave., at 138th, New York, NY. Directions and location details will be sent with the confirmation packet.
St. Ann's Corner of Harm Reduction
Prevention Point, Philadelphia
Lower East Side Harm Reduction Center
American Civil Liberties Union AIDS Project
New York Peer AIDS Education Coalition
Prevention Point, Buffalo, Inc.
North American Syringe Exchange Network
Streetwork Project/Victim Services
Drug Policy Foundation
AIDS Action Committee, Boston
New York Harm Reduction Educators
Cures Not Wars
Minority Task Force on AIDS
ICARE (International Coalition for Addicts' Resources & Enlightenment)
The conference agenda currently includes the following tracks:
1. Harm Reduction: history, theory, philosophy, ethics, politics
2. Direct Services: diverse populations, programs, models, drug treatment, medical and social services, needle and syringe exchange, outreach, peer education, HIV/AIDS services
3. Connecting the Dots: implementation, funding, advocacy, legal issues, law enforcement, evaluation/needs assessment, policy, community organizing
4. User Activists: organizing user unions, practical medical and legal information, demystifying drug use, accurate drug use information, alternative drug treatment
Mail an $80 check or money order with the enclosed registration form to the Harm Reduction Coalition. There are a limited number of scholarships available, so please apply early. The deadline for registration is June 1st. No refunds will be issued after the registration deadline. Course credit will be made available on the day of the training, free of charge.
Upon receipt of your registration, we will send you a confirmation letter with conference details, cdirections and a program agenda.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION,
Harm Reduction Coalition
P.O. Box 77248
San Francisco, CA 94107
Phone (415) 621-1451
Fax (415) 621-1184
Group hotel rates available.
Number of person(s) at $80 each
Enclosed is my check or money order for $
Want CEU credit? Y/N ( )
CHECKS PAYABLE TO: Harm Reduction Coalition
FULL PAYMENT MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR REGISTRATION.
PLEASE NOTE: The deadline for pre-registration is June 1st. No refunds will be issued after the registration deadline. Limited on-site registration will be available.
If you like what you see here and want to get these bulletins by e-mail, please fill out our quick signup form at http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html.